|photo by photostock|
What are the key attributes of happy couples according to these studies?
How to achieve happiness in your relationship?
1. Good communication - happy couples exchange ideas, feelings, news, beliefs, they share problems - all that in a polite, respectful and appreciative manner. They listen to one another, try to understand and be understood
2. Ability to adjust to change - happy couples are creative in ways they resolve conflicts or address problems.
3. Good balance of togetherness and separateness - happy couples do things together and spend quality time together, but also allow for periods of time to self.
4. Constructive resolution of conflict - when criticising, happy couples don't generalise ('You always do this', or 'You never say that'); they attack the problem not the person, they don't withdraw from the interaction.
5. Agreement in financial matters - happy couples agree on how to handle money.
6. Satisfying sexual life - happy couples' sexual life is a s good as their emotional life; they give and receive satisfying amount of affection and they don't worry that their partners may want to have an affair.
7. Shared values - happy couples share values and spiritual beliefs.
8. Shared parental responsibilities and agreement on child rearing methods.
Here you can find more information on the qualities of successful marriages.